Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Tanks
Reload this Page >

Battle board for an armored car

Notices
RC Tanks Discuss all aspects of rc tank building and driving here!

Battle board for an armored car

Old 06-02-2023, 12:11 PM
Elwarpo

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts
Default Battle board for an armored car

Over 10 years ago I scratch built a Daimler Armored car based off a Team Associated 1/18 chassis. At that time there were no Tamiya compatible boards available to run 1 motor for speed and a servo for steering. I tried the DBU and it never worked, I tried different wiring setups for Tamiya electronics...

I am thinking of resurrecting it. here is what I need:
Wheeled drive or half track type setting where 1 motor provides movement. Not speeding or slowing 1 track independently for speed/steering.
Smaller size since the model is tiny the size of a tamiya DMD.
Compatible with a tamiya apple, flash unit and emitter and run/battle like a tamiya unit.
Something easy to program. I do not want to have something take hours to try to learn to use and toss it since it is crap like the DBU
no momentum, start and stop instantly since this is more fun.

What do you guys recommend? I have been looking at the MTCU, IBU... but still not sure which will work best.
Old 06-03-2023, 01:22 AM
oldwolf75

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

Check Elmod. They used to have boards specific for half tracks and armored cars.
Old 06-03-2023, 07:50 AM
Ex_Pat_Tanker

Received 39 Likes on 31 Posts

Failing that, maybe take a look at the OpenPanzer project Standalone Tank IR There might be oppotunities there to build a simple system with a single ESC and a crude battle circuit on a Arduino Nano?
Won't be fully Tamiya compatible as it won't slow the vehicle down, but I started looking into that for a 37mm Dodge WC before the day job started to eat a good chunk of my free time...
Old 06-03-2023, 10:27 AM
Pah co chu puk

Received 143 Likes on 93 Posts

I have an IBU3 Tank board and it has a setting for a halftrack. It gives you servo steering control and the choice of one motor to drive the tracks, or a two motor output so the halftrack can steer with tracks and the front wheels. It is Tamiya battle compatible and you can do up custom sounds from a big library they have online. I have had it in a tank for years now with no problems. I've never tried the halftrack setting, so I can't give you any insight to how well that part works.

Look on their website at the manual. Page 17 has the instructions for the halftrack setting.

IBU3_manual_English_V1.pdf
Old 06-05-2023, 11:57 AM
Elwarpo

So where can you get an IBU3 in the US?
Old 06-05-2023, 01:07 PM
Pah co chu puk

Received 143 Likes on 93 Posts

Originally Posted by Elwarpo
So where can you get an IBU3 in the US?
That I don't know. When I bought mine there was a dealer for the IBU in the US. I don't think there is anymore.
Old 06-05-2023, 01:25 PM
tankme

Received 207 Likes on 169 Posts

I think it's difficult to get an IBU board period from any vendor at this point.
Old 06-09-2023, 11:16 AM
Elwarpo

Been talking to Kim about his board but it may be too big to fit inside the AC since it is 4"x3" going to build a mockup to see if it fits.
Old 06-15-2023, 10:55 AM
Elwarpo

Still looking, Kim's MCTU board will be too big for my build.Any other suggestions?