Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Tanks
Reload this Page >

Kim Olsen's MTCU. New electronics, ideal for batting.

Community
Search
Notices
RC Tanks Discuss all aspects of rc tank building and driving here!

Kim Olsen's MTCU. New electronics, ideal for batting.

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2022, 11:02 AM
Durahl

Received 45 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by bowlman
Takom has it coming out in 1/35 model that could be used to measure from
https://www.themodellingnews.com/202...h-barrels.html
The kit should be available in July.
Thanks
Jimmy
Sweet Cheezus 😍
Old 04-30-2023, 01:39 AM
Rad_Schuhart

Received 55 Likes on 38 Posts

Hi, I have been experimenting a bit more with the board lately. There was a software update which implements virtual gears. Now it the tank behaves even more realistically than the previous software version, But don't be afraid, for those who can't stand with it, and unlike the iBU2U and Elmod, inertia and momentum can be fully removed.

The following 2 users liked this post by Rad_Schuhart:
bowlman (05-01-2023), oldwolf75 (04-30-2023)
Old 04-30-2023, 02:53 AM
oldwolf75

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

It looks good. Now if only there was a way to have the lower gears actually increase torque instead of just running slower….
Old 04-30-2023, 08:48 AM
Rad_Schuhart

Originally Posted by oldwolf75
It looks good. Now if only there was a way to have the lower gears actually increase torque instead of just running slower….
Well, in our tanks is harder than in cars or trucks, but I have seen some tank gerboxes changing gears with a servo, increasing the torque. It is a super cool add on. Some machinning skills are needed as well. Maybe Herr Crius or Jerry from this forum has some experience with it.
Old 05-01-2023, 01:39 AM
Crius

Received 313 Likes on 259 Posts

Not me, but I'm pretty sure Jerry has built some 1/10th scale gas powered tanks that have a shiftable transmission in them. Do you guys think we really need different gears in the trans on a 1/16 scale tank? Will it really make that much difference in how realistically the tank performs?
Old 05-01-2023, 02:30 AM
oldwolf75

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

Well, a real tank going up a difficult slope would be likely to shift down to get more torque. A model tank would increase the throttle which would cause the mfu to simulate a higher gear. Essentially, real tanks can get more power by going slower, model tanks cant.
Not that a 1/16 scale multi gear transmission is likely to be practical.
Model train aficionados faced the same problem: the need for high torque, low speed performance to handle slow moving, heavily loaded freight trains. They came up with a reasonable solution electronically with so called “pulsed power”. As I understand it, the power pack would always deliver its maximum voltage at low speeds but it delivered it in a series of on-off pulses. At slow speed the on pulses were short duration and the off pulses were long. As speed increased the on pulses became longer and the off pulses shorter and the voltage also slowly dropped, until at some point the power pack was delivering straight DC, no pulses at all, for mid to high speed operation. The problem is that this causes the motors to heat up at low speed. Some people might find it acceptable though.

Old 05-01-2023, 09:20 AM
RichJohnson

Received 374 Likes on 238 Posts

Did that fella Kim ever put up some kind of site to market these? Last I recall you had to go email direct.

@Bowlman, did you ever get your t72 operational with this board?

last summer I was neck deep in beta testing the DK tank boards which I feel are fine and great for a skid steer tank but the driving algorithm is epic fail in a modern tank trany design as it starts to slow the inside track during a turn until which point it reverses the inside track and sends you from a logarithmic turn into a sharp neck breaking pivot at full speed.

Any way now stating to look into this product more as DKT is probably gone and not coming back to be updated.
Old 05-01-2023, 01:04 PM
bowlman

Received 85 Likes on 69 Posts

Originally Posted by RichJohnson
Did that fella Kim ever put up some kind of site to market these? Last I recall you had to go email direct.

@Bowlman, did you ever get your t72 operational with this board?

last summer I was neck deep in beta testing the DK tank boards which I feel are fine and great for a skid steer tank but the driving algorithm is epic fail in a modern tank trany design as it starts to slow the inside track during a turn until which point it reverses the inside track and sends you from a logarithmic turn into a sharp neck breaking pivot at full speed.

Any way now stating to look into this product more as DKT is probably gone and not coming back to be updated.
@Bowlman no never got a chance to put it in the T72 tank had a guy quit at work so went to 7 days tell hired a replacement worker then the bowling season took off like a rocket owner bought another bowling center so spending time there to this week started the bowling off season so things are slowing down .
Thanks
Jimmy
Old 05-01-2023, 09:27 PM
Rad_Schuhart

Originally Posted by Crius
Do you guys think we really need different gears in the trans on a 1/16 scale tank? Will it really make that much difference in how realistically the tank performs?
Not a must, but I believe it does make a difference, and there is always the fun factor and the wow factor, lol

Originally Posted by oldwolf75
“pulsed power”. As I understand it, the power pack would always deliver its maximum voltage at low speeds but it delivered it in a series of on-off pulses.
Very interesting and something new to experiment! I think this pulse effect can be achieved programming the radio. Now I have something new to do

Originally Posted by RichJohnson
No website, but you can contact him through email or Facebook. We talk from time to time, nice guy to work with.
Old 05-30-2023, 09:50 AM
Rad_Schuhart

Lads and gents, the board got an update. Now it comes with 60A rated brushed and brushless speed controllers!

The following users liked this post:
bowlman (05-30-2023)
Old 05-31-2023, 08:13 AM
Tanque

Received 95 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by Crius
Not me, but I'm pretty sure Jerry has built some 1/10th scale gas powered tanks that have a shiftable transmission in them. Do you guys think we really need different gears in the trans on a 1/16 scale tank? Will it really make that much difference in how realistically the tank performs?
I missed this discussion when it first popped out as I don't get on here as often as I used to.

Yes all my tanks that have an original Maier transmission have 3 forward speeds. When I was running these things more often I lived pretty much in 1st and second gear with third being a bit too fast for my tastes except if I needed to cover a large space quicker. I loved the power of first gear Most of Maier's braked differential transmissions had 3 forward +1 reverse gear although a very rare middle version of his braked differential type.had 3 forward and 3 reverse.

As obnoxious as some people found the Webra 6,5ccm engine to be sound wise it was fun in 1st gear with the engine at 75-80% throttle- gobs of power.

This (new) board seems quite intriguing. Anyone try it in a 1/6 tank?

Jerry
Old 06-05-2023, 12:16 PM
Elwarpo

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Can this board run an armored car using 1 motor fro driving the 4 wheels and a servo for steering?
Old 06-05-2023, 01:52 PM
bowlman

Received 85 Likes on 69 Posts

Originally Posted by Elwarpo
Can this board run an armored car using 1 motor fro driving the 4 wheels and a servo for steering?
Maybe Rad_Schuhart can can get him to desin one for cars and trucks .
Thanks
Jimmy
Old 06-05-2023, 09:09 PM
Rad_Schuhart

Originally Posted by Elwarpo
Yes, sir.

Old 06-06-2023, 02:43 AM
tankme

Received 207 Likes on 169 Posts

I just Emailed Kim. I'm thinking about installing one in my E-100 project to test out. The E-100 has so much internal space it will dwarf that board.
Old 06-06-2023, 03:01 AM
Max-U52

Received 41 Likes on 30 Posts

Tankme, Please be sure to get us all the details on this, like how much it costs, how much was shipping, how long did it take to get to you, etc, etc. Thanks Bro.
The following users liked this post:
tankme (06-06-2023)
Old 06-07-2023, 10:04 AM
Elwarpo

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Awesome, thanks
Old 06-07-2023, 02:22 PM
Durahl

Received 45 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by tankme
The E-100 has so much internal space it will dwarf that board.
Yeaa... If you go full retard like I did and build yours with scale thick Armor, and Baffles and a Spine to create a sturdier construction then all that internal space suddenly starts melting away really fast 😆
Old 06-07-2023, 02:57 PM
tankme

Got a response back from Kim that said the newest boards aren't quite ready as there is still some telemetry programing he's working on. Since I've played with brushless before I thought it might be fun to try it out again, but it's not a huge requirement for me. I do think I'd rather wait for the dual ESC board. Cost is $247 USD plus shipping. I think he thought I was in Germany so the wrong shipping fee was quoted.

Shipping prices are just insane right now though. I just checked on shipping that turret to Mozit from the US to Australia and they want $58.75 for a 3lb box sent first class mail. It's $85 for a flat rate medium priority mail box.
Old 06-07-2023, 03:06 PM
tankme

Originally Posted by Durahl
Yeaa... If you go full retard like I did and build yours with scale thick Armor, and Baffles and a Spine to create a sturdier construction then all that internal space suddenly starts melting away really fast 😆
Believe it or not, Inkor's lower hull is really stiff once it's all screwed together and any panels that can be glued are glued together. The only part of it I am having an issue with is the hull upper deck as it flexes...a lot. That will need some additional bracing underneath. I know you don't care for the Krupp turret version, but that turret didn't require any internal bracing once it was glued together and it's really stiff/strong. I haven't printed the running gear for mine yet or done any real post processing to the FDM parts. Kinda want to print the tracks with my resin printer that I haven't learned how to use yet.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Uspaq6W.jpg
Views:	131
Size:	1.07 MB
ID:	2272894