Notices
Jet Central Turbines - Artes Jet Jet Central Turbines formerly the Artes Jet forum

Super Eagle starting issue

Old 06-04-2023, 05:46 PM
rcmigpilot
My Feedback: (26)

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Super Eagle starting issue

I have a friend with an older JF-120 Super Eagle that he bought late last year and we're having start up issues. Since he's had it the first start attempt usually fails, the gas ignites but fire goes out before the ramp fuel comes in and takes over. Usually the second start is better, but this weekend it took 4 tries to get it running. After the 3rd try I bumped the propane to 45 from 30 and that got it going. Once running the engine performs as expected. It was in the high 80s low 90s so I don't know if that had something to do with it tacking more effort to get it to run. Each time the start fails we can hear the pump and solenoid working and there aren't any bubbles in the fuel line. We've trouble shot the fuel system so we no there isn't an issue there, we just need to ramp in a little more fuel a little faster. I looked through the menus and can't find a ramp fuel adjustment.
Old 06-05-2023, 08:06 AM
CARS II
My Feedback: (7)

Received 123 Likes on 106 Posts

I don’t have JC turbines but I have engines that start with propane, it sounds like the chamber is not getting hot enough and the the startup sequence times out, if it’s not at the proper temperature the ECU won’t start the pump, on the second attempt it’s starts probably because the engine is hot already from the first attempt.

Adjusting the gas just a bit more at a time is the right way to go and what I would do, it has to get to the required temperature, all ECU brands have a fuel adjustment for this part of the startup sequence, I’ve done this adjustment to at least half of my engines because they were spitting flames on the startup part because the ECU was sending too much fuel.

Warm to hot days actually help the gas to flow easier than cold days, the gas tends to evaporate instead of staying in a liquid form like in cold days.

I suggest to concentrate on the gas part first before moving on to adjust the startup fuel, adjust the fuel once the engine begins to run on fuel if it is spitting flames or if it is taking too long to accelerate.

Add a few drops of 3 in 1 oil to the gas selenoid in the in side to lubricate it, then test it to get the oil in there, the propane is cold and in time it will get it dry and that can get them stuck close or opened, also confirm that the glow plug wire has been pulled out.

Auto pump mode is what you need for the startup fuel.

I hope this helps.

Last edited by CARS II; 06-05-2023 at 08:38 AM.
Old 06-05-2023, 11:11 AM
causeitflies

Received 42 Likes on 32 Posts

I agree with CARS II. If the fire goes out before the fuel gets there it sounds like the propane is too weak. Increasing it in the ECU can work but only if it is getting adaquate gas from the supply. What is the supply? Is it through a regulator, straight from the propane tank or an on-board tank?