Go Back  RCU Forums > Radios, Batteries, Clubhouse and more > The Clubhouse
Reload this Page >

old timers look here must be 50+ years only

Community
Search
Notices
The Clubhouse If it doesn't fit in any other category and is about general RC stuff then post it here at the Clubhouse.

old timers look here must be 50+ years only

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2023, 06:40 AM
donnyman

Received 124 Likes on 97 Posts

flite metal

It is a bit surprising one would consider manufacturing kits when it appears ARFS and such is taking over.

I hope you are totally successful. Building is my passion but my ability to do so is diminished

(age and health) My hope is to complete this.

Last edited by donnyman; 05-29-2023 at 06:42 AM.
The following users liked this post:
David John Davis (05-29-2023)
Old 05-29-2023, 07:05 AM
FlyerInOKC
My Feedback: (6)

Received 272 Likes on 237 Posts

The Flite Metal looks good on the P-51D, my Ryan SC is getting Aero Foil for the same type of finish.
David John Davis (05-29-2023)
Old 05-30-2023, 05:56 AM
donnyman

Yes flite-metal is terrific, I really like it but for me it has been a challenge and I am not pleased with my results, all is not flite-metal some is regular aluminum foil. too achieve a more scale appearance several modifications were made to the nose section, the big hold up is getting the exhaust pipes correct most I have seen look either too small or too big and stick out awkwardly. I probably wont do much better but it wont be for lack of trying.
Old 05-30-2023, 06:19 AM
FlyerInOKC

I know what you mean, sometimes you have to take what you can get and go on. I went will Aero Foil because you buy it buy the foot and it was available in 2 widths. It a little thinner than Flite Metal and easier to work.
Old 05-30-2023, 10:18 AM
donnyman

Originally Posted by FlyerInOKC
I know what you mean, sometimes you have to take what you can get and go on. I went will Aero Foil because you buy it buy the foot and it was available in 2 widths. It a little thinner than Flite Metal and easier to work.
I considered aero foil but didn't place a order for some reason or other, I found the adhesive on flite-metal to be tenacious once touched to the surface, thats it. peeling it off only makes it uglier and uglier.

Fear has kept me from climbing the steps to my shop but I must sooner or later If I fall it's a 911 call.

Have you started your Ryan yet?
Old 05-30-2023, 11:16 AM
FlyerInOKC

Here is a link, I'm on page 23 now. We have a tendency to babble over there, at least the owner does. Fuselage is 70%, the wings maybe 50%, life (Read Honey-dos) has tendency to get in the way.

https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...nce-post-build
Telemaster Sales UK (05-30-2023)
Old 05-31-2023, 06:26 AM
donnyman

I looked into your Ryan build thread and it appears to be coming along pretty good! Post some pics here I am sure many would find it interesting.
Old 05-31-2023, 09:07 AM
FlyerInOKC

Default Since you asked...

Donny, since you asked this will give you an idea where I am at. The fuselage is mostly planked, tail feathers are mounted, and I estimate it to be at 70%. I still have a bit of planking to do at the tail and after I start sanding I may need to add wood to get the shape correct. I wanted a change of pace so I went back to the wing. The main body of the wing is built on the right side and I'm still working on the left side. I'm about 50% complete on it, there is a lot to do and a bunch that will need to be designed. I lucked into a used cowling that I can use, the previous owner didn't have a clue as to what he was on. Whatever it fit used a 7 cylinder engine, the Ryan had a Warner Scarab 7 cylinder. The covering will be Oratex Silver in the fabric covered areas and Aero Foil for the metal covered areas. The original design for the gear involved piano wire in Maple blocks, as you can see from the photo I had custom gear made with oleo struts and mounts similar to a retract. I plan on adding some of the maple to strengthen the wing and help transfer the gear load across the center portion of the wing. The maple will also support the hinges for the landing brake between the gear. You can just see it in the first picture.

Donny, are you sorry you asked now?
Old 05-31-2023, 04:01 PM
donnyman

Originally Posted by FlyerInOKC
Donny, since you asked this will give you an idea where I am at. The fuselage is mostly planked, tail feathers are mounted, and I estimate it to be at 70%. I still have a bit of planking to do at the tail and after I start sanding I may need to add wood to get the shape correct. I wanted a change of pace so I went back to the wing. The main body of the wing is built on the right side and I'm still working on the left side. I'm about 50% complete on it, there is a lot to do and a bunch that will need to be designed. I lucked into a used cowling that I can use, the previous owner didn't have a clue as to what he was on. Whatever it fit used a 7 cylinder engine, the Ryan had a Warner Scarab 7 cylinder. The covering will be Oratex Silver in the fabric covered areas and Aero Foil for the metal covered areas. The original design for the gear involved piano wire in Maple blocks, as you can see from the photo I had custom gear made with oleo struts and mounts similar to a retract. I plan on adding some of the maple to strengthen the wing and help transfer the gear load across the center portion of the wing. The maple will also support the hinges for the landing brake between the gear. You can just see it in the first picture.

Donny, are you sorry you asked now?
H--l no! show us more! what's the wingspan? what radio ya gonna use? Never got the chance to use my frysky trans.

That speed brake thingy caught me by surprise.....Cool! Getting that cowl nice and shiney will be trick.

Last edited by donnyman; 05-31-2023 at 04:08 PM. Reason: add text
Old 05-31-2023, 07:18 PM
FlyerInOKC

Radio will be my tried and true Futaba 7C FASST system, engine will be a Saito either a FA-82 or FA-91. Final selection will depend on how she'll balance out. Her nose is a little short so I may need the FA-91. Power wise I think a FA-100 would be best but I don't own one.
Old 06-01-2023, 04:08 AM
Telemaster Sales UK

Received 146 Likes on 123 Posts

How did you hinge the elevator Mike? I am thinking of building my Fokker triplane's tailplane in a similar way.
Old 06-01-2023, 05:00 AM
FlyerInOKC

I used Robart Hinge Points, if you look how the rudder is hinged in the photo below you get an idea why I did it that way.

Last edited by FlyerInOKC; 06-01-2023 at 05:05 AM.
bisco (06-11-2023)
Old 06-03-2023, 08:14 AM
Telemaster Sales UK

The Ukrainian Baron suddenly went out of control yesterday and crashed into a field of wheat. We spent hours looking for it without success. Fortunately I still have the RNAS Baron which is not as stable as the other one but it will do. The engine, a Magnum 52 is not as powerful as the Thunder Tiger 54 in my other Baron but it does the job.
Old 06-03-2023, 09:27 AM
flyboy2610
My Feedback: (1)

Received 37 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by Telemaster Sales UK
The Ukrainian Baron suddenly went out of control yesterday and crashed into a field of wheat. We spent hours looking for it without success. Fortunately I still have the RNAS Baron which is not as stable as the other one but it will do. The engine, a Magnum 52 is not as powerful as the Thunder Tiger 54 in my other Baron but it does the job.

Oh, Pooh.
Some farmer will find it next fall. With his combine, no doubt.
Old 06-03-2023, 08:56 PM
David John Davis

Received 81 Likes on 60 Posts

It had some expensive little servos in it too.

Ah well, we're still looking forward to going down to Lyon for la Coupe. I'll just have to fly more precisely to compensate for lack of speed!
Old 06-04-2023, 06:15 AM
FlyerInOKC

I think you just want an excuse to build another one!
Old 06-04-2023, 09:33 AM
Telemaster Sales UK

Tried to post a brief video of me flying a couple of vintage models this morning but I don't know how.

Last edited by Telemaster Sales UK; 06-04-2023 at 09:46 AM.
Old 06-04-2023, 06:35 PM
GallopingGhostler

Received 80 Likes on 63 Posts

Tried to post a brief video of me flying a couple of vintage models this morning but I don't know how.
Some post to YouTube or Facebook, make sure it is publicly accessible, then post a link to that particular video.
Old 06-04-2023, 09:10 PM
David John Davis

Received 81 Likes on 60 Posts

Ok, thanks GG, I'll try copying it from the club's FB website.

A few points here gentlemen. Please allow for English not being his Frans's first language. The Radio Queen, the red model, was in the process of being trimmed out. It could do with a little more down thrust on the motor and perhaps a little more weight on the nose.

The Super 60, the blue model, was fitted with a 3300 LiPo. I flew it with a 2200 LiPo later in the day. The lower weight made the model much more pleasant to fly and the landing less hot! Mind you I should have slowed it down on the elevator.

Have I already mentioned that the original Radio Queen was the first model aeroplane to cross the English Channel between England and France on 22nd September 1955? If so I'm sorry to be boring!

No it didn't like that because the title of the video had the name of a well-known social media site included in its title. I'll see if it will accept the video as an attachment. If not I'll try to move it to YouTube but that's for later on. Right now I need to get up and take the dig for her morning walk.

Last edited by David John Davis; 06-04-2023 at 09:15 PM.
Old 06-05-2023, 04:52 AM
donnyman

my grass is so high something had to be done, so between wet spells I got the mower going and cut as much as I could away from the house.

The mosquito's, chiggers and what not ate me alive, I've been itching and scratching like a dog with a flea infestation I want to cut more but a tire went flat and my attempts to fix it landed me on my back needing help to get up. (not a pleasant feeling) my body will not cooperate with me I don't have the strength to get myself off the ground so the mower will have to wait along with a bunch of other stuff.

Old 06-05-2023, 05:08 AM
FlyerInOKC

Make a mixture of mostly water and a little garlic oil and spray the mower. The mosquitos won't come near you and after it dries you can't smell it but the mosquitos can.
Old 06-05-2023, 12:42 PM
GREG DOE

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts

"The Ukrainian Baron suddenly went out of control yesterday and crashed into a field of wheat. We spent hours looking for it without success." Sometimes a good drone pilot with a camera equipped drone can find lost models. Good luck.
Old 06-05-2023, 10:19 PM
Telemaster Sales UK

Originally Posted by GREG DOE
"The Ukrainian Baron suddenly went out of control yesterday and crashed into a field of wheat. We spent hours looking for it without success." Sometimes a good drone pilot with a camera equipped drone can find lost models. Good luck.

Thank you Greg, There is a fellow in the club with a camera equipped drone and another who has a motorised paraglider. I will ask them if they can fly over the field to look for my model.

The film of me flying the two vintage models on Sunday morning goes onto YouTube at 12.00 local time today.
Old 06-06-2023, 02:26 AM
Telemaster Sales UK

Video of Sunday morning's flights with the Radio Queen and the Super Sixty. The Radio Queen was being trimmed out and the Super Sixty flew better later in the day with a smaller LiPo installed.

Old 06-06-2023, 04:31 AM
FlyerInOKC

Nice flying.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.